Graduation was last week. It was a very emotional week, plus the pregnancy hormones are in full effect. Joe's mom came from AZ and his dad came from TX. I was in good company because they love Joe and are as proud of him as I am. This past year and half has been very intense and full of stress and studying. You know when something is over people say it is bittersweet because it was hard, but they will miss stuff about it? I have to say that, for me, graduation was not bittersweet at all. I felt very relieved that Joe was finally done. I'm pretty sure most of the crying I did was because I was thinking about everything that we have been through to get to this point, and that it is finally over. Joe EARNED his wings!!!! It's not all smooth sailing from here, but the hell (yeah, I said it) that is UPT is done with. I will say that through this journey we have made a lot of friends that we are going to keep in touch with for years to come. Plus we got to live in the South which I had mixed feeling about to begin with, but I really do love it here and there is lots of stuff I will miss about it. On to a new adventure, right?
The Air Force set up a few activities for the families of the graduates. First we went to the squadron to meet everyone and have breakfast. Then we took a bus to the airfield where they fly their helicopters. We got to see all of the gear they need to fly. Then they took us in a pitch black room to demonstrate the night vision goggles. Very cool, plus we got to see River picking his nose when he thought no one was looking, that is nothing new.
River with the helmet
The fam, doesn't Ezra look happy?
There was also a display of the aircrafts that Joe trained on for us to look at. First the T-6 plane that he flew in Mississippi. Some of his instructors from Miss actually flew the plane over and Joe got to visit with them.
Joe and the boys on the T-6.

So the sad truth is if you see helicopters everyday, and you've already got to play in the one at your dad's work that you are allowed to sit in and push all of the buttons, seeing another one can get pretty boring if you're 7 or 4 years old.
Here we are, in the Huey, trying to get Ezra to smile.

At the graduation ceremony the boys and I got to go on the stage to pin Joe's wings on him, then we posed for pictures taken by a professional.

Here is Joe's page in the program. I was very honored that the boys and I could pin Joes' wings on him. I did feel like it was my right to pin those bad boys on Joe, but when I saw it in writing on the program I was very touched and got emotional about it. Did I say that I am so proud of Joe for working so hard, and that I'm glad it is over?
Later that night we went to dinner with all of the graduates and their families. Once again very boring if you are 7 and 4. Joe was awesome and made up a song that had the boys cracking up.Isn't this a fun pic?
Up next for the Lasuras. We are having the ultrasound to find out if it's a boy or a girl on the 4th of April. We have to be in Albuquerque, New Mexico by April 15th to start the next phase of helicopter training. We are still waiting for official orders, so we can't really get the ball rolling on our huge list of things to do until we get the orders.
Joe here...Wow. The resemblance is uncanny. I can't believe Joan made me shave it. One weird thing is for the twenty one days I had it no one made eye contact with me. I wonder why.

P.S.(it's Joan) Joe cannot grow hair in the middle of his upper lip, he did not shave it to look that way.


15 comments:
Congratulations!!!!! I'm so excited for you. It sound like you had a great night. I can't wait till you are closer and we can see you.
YEAH!! We are so excited for you guys! We loved the pictures, especially the 'stache, that thing is awesome. Good luck with moving and getting everything ready to go. Albuquerque should at least be a nice dry warm for you Joan, it might just feel like home. CONGRATS on the big accomplishment (hopefully we'll be there someday too). ~Meagan and Ben
Congratulations!!!! You guys are so awesome! I just we could have come to your graduation! How exciting to be finally moving on and knowing where you are going. Congrats to you both and your boys for completing this crazy year of UPT! We are going to be driving through Albuquerque towards the end of April. Are you going to be there? I'm excited to hear if your baby will be a boy or a stinky girl! :) I can't wait! We love you guys and miss you!!
thanks for all the pictures and stories from graduation! i wish we could have been there! congrats to joe AND you!
oh yeah, and joseph and i thought it was awesome that you now capitalize the SOUTH!! haha!
Hey Joe,
I have to say that is one funny mustache!
I am totally jealous that you are done and I am not even close. I did pass my mid-phase check ride on Tuesday. So, one down three to go for the T-6.
Congrats and I hope all goes well. If you have any questions/concerns about Albuquerque my brother-in-law is a group commander there, so let me know. Later, Ben
Wow, what a great update on the all amazing goings on!! I am practically crying I am so excited for you all. I am glad everything went well, and that you are on to the next stage of life. We miss you guys. Super excited for your ultrasound, gotta see if my hunch is correct. I'm already coming up with great girl names, so be ready for my 2 cents. LOVE YOU GUYS!!
Congratulations again. I loved the post and all the pictures and updates on it. Good luck with everything.
Congrats!!!
(Alex here)
Hey guys! Wow! Way to go! We are sooo happy for you. We think that you are an incredible family and we are so happy to know you.
Good luck with New Mexico and Wyoming, I am sure that it will be a piece of cake.
I want to send you an invite to my upcoming graduation. Will you guys send us your current mailing address?
congratulations. That is awesome. I quit blogging and now am back. Love the name of your kids. Email me so I can invite you to my blog.
codie.hardy@yahoo.com
YAY!!! Congratulations Joe and Joan! I thought it was so cool you got to be in the program. I'm not pregant and I think I would have been emotional too. I wish we could have been there. Lots of love!
Hahaha! Rhett. I'm so excited to see you guys in Albequerque. I think we're coming! Joe admitted today that Stephen Malkmus might possibly be there at the same time, but please tell me you don't like him so I have someone to stay home with...AND I'm betting on a boy for the ultrasound! Congrats on everything!
Oh Joan I am totally jealous. I can't wait for that day. I think that is totally appropriate that you got to pin his wings on him. You earned it just as much as he did and I want to say that I am proud of both of you. :)
Hey Lasuras! We read you blog every once in a while. Rebecca and Alan have a link on their blog. Sounds like things are exciting in the Air Force. Your boys are so cute! Have fun in Wyoming. You will love the wide open spaces, driving long distances and not meeting another vehicle on the road, and the cowboys!!! Take Care,
Rand and Shelly Olsen.
PS We're lame. We don't have a blog.
Post a Comment