Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Assignment Night, The Mustache, and Our Needs

Are you totally excited for Assignment Night tomorrow?.....I am
Have you been waiting over a year to get your first assignment?....I have
Are you totally sad/mad that the people in charge decided it would work better for them to have assignment night next Friday on the14th?......I am
Are you going to pout and cry about it?....I did

So we have to wait yet another week to find out our first assignment, I was pretty devastated. I know that there are worse things that can happen to a person, but it was a total shock to me . I know it's only a week.

There has been a lot of discussing our "list" and rearranging the order of our base choices. We did a lot of thinking and praying about what order we would put our base choices. It was very surprising what we ended putting on the list. I'll keep everyone out there guessing, just like I am.

We had a crazy thing happen here, our friends who I mentioned in the last post, got a change of assignment. They already graduated and everything, the assignment they were given was flying hueys in Wyoming. The short version of the story is our friend was at work, they asked him if he would like to switch from hueys to 6os. He said that he would, they told him to make a list of his top choices and turn it in. He called his wife, they came up with a list. He turned it in. They gave him his first choice, to Kadena Afb in Japan. Now I'm thinking there is an open spot to Wyoming and they will be giving it out at Joe's assignment night. I guess like a lot of things in the air force, we'll just have to wait and see.

So it's March. For student pilots and some other people in the air force that means Mustache March. In March they decide to grow mustaches to promote brotherhood and camaraderie, yeah right! Or in other words, your husband looks not so cute/creepy for the month of March. Joe wasn't going to participate this year, but there is a lot of peer pressure down at the squadron and obviously they didn't see him last year. The good news is we have graduation on the 21st and I have been promised that there will be no sign of a mustache on graduation day. Good thing, I'm sure we will be taking a lot of pictures that day.

Shall we have some fun to lighten the mood?

My friend Kelsey did this on her blog, when I saw it I knew I was going to do it for our family. This is what comes up when you type in our names into google and the word "needs". It was so funny and random.
Joe needs....
Joe needs a singer for his band
Joe needs food badly
Joe needs to go on vacation again
Joe needs a career coach
Joe needs some assistance

Joan needs...
Joan needs to have faith
Joan needs two points before she can graph a line
Joan needs a little redirection, but this comes with being an active child
Joan needs to plan her days around interruptions from people
Joan needs a man with money to give her the kind of life she desires

Ezra needs...
Ezra really needs to go pee
Ezra needs our support
Ezra needs to be smacked with the reality feather
Ezra needs to realize all's well that ends well
Ezra needs to get down from that tower once in a while

Not so much for River
River needs.....
Mississippi River needs a cleanup
Vanishing Jordan River Needs Global Rescue Effort
Gila River Needs Water to Run Wild
River needs a hero
Old Man River Needs To Retire


16 comments:

meagan said...

Wow, that is disappointing. I mean a week isn't that long, but after you've been waiting sooo long already it seems like forever. Ben is also participating in mustache march. I keep telling him that we need to do a before and after picture. Right now I have to admit that he looks pretty ridiculous. Maybe Joe looks great with a 'stache. I loved the 'needs' part- we might have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a change for Rich and Monica! That's very exciting though. Too bad she'll have already had the baby by the time they get out there or Caelyn could have had dual citizenship. So are you guys leaning toward Wyoming now?

I'm sorry about mustache march too, hehe I'm sooo glad Kevin didn't do it this year.

Kelsey said...

Haha! Love your needs! Yours crack me up!! Pretty random. I'm really sorry about assignment night! That is SO frustrating. I'm excited to hear about what happens. I really have been thinking about you guys all week and wondering what will happen! What's one more week! No, I totally know how one more week can be so long when you have been waiting FOR-E-VER!

Katie said...

well so you know, mustache march is only a pilot training thing. matthew started asking about it here and he got laughed at quite often. so hopefully you wont have to endure the mustache again next year, lol. that would be cool if you ended up in wyoming. you will only be 2 hrs north from us.

amber and alma said...

Okay, first- that sucks, and now you have less recovery time if you pop a herp for grad.
second- you will actually be fine, but the suspense is killing us.
third- the needs are funny. like smacked with the reality feather, and your need for redirection.
fourth- remember Alma's mustache for halloween? ugh, that was hideous. but now it makes me laugh.
Hang in there, we love you guys.

RPH said...

Oh, I dont want to wait one more week to find out! I cant take the suspense!

Angela said...

Grrrr. I'm sorry you have to wait another week Joan. Hopefully it'll go by fast. This is random...but last Sunday during the sacrament I remembered the "be quiet and think about cheeses?" quote. It made smile. Your kids are too funny.

A said...

Hey how did I end up here, on the the Lasura's Blog? I cant believe Joe is going to be a pilot, thats awesome! I don't think I have seen Joe since he helped me paint our temporary apartment!

Nancy said...

bummer about assignment night. However I do like the mustache march. I think it is so funny and yet I hate mustaches and would make Bret shave his off also. It is so flunny about the google your name thing. I might try it.

Anonymous said...

Please relate to the Air Force how important it is to be disciplined and stay on schedule.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and the needs thing is fun except when I typed in becca needs, I got other becca's who did the same thing.
The first thing that popped up was, "So I typed in 'Becca needs' into google..."

Rachel Cunningham said...

So fun to see your blog and your cute family! Congrats on baby #3! I loved reading your blog...you are still the funniest person ever.

Kelsey said...

Good luck tomorrow! We will be thinking about you guys and we will be dying to know what happens!!!

Sara said...

"Joan needs a man with money to give her the kind of life she desires" HA HA! Don't we all!!?

I loved the "not so cute/creepy" comment. That's so true. Mustaches...yikes!

Can't wait to hear where you are going!

Angela said...

YAY!! Today is finally friday! Let us know about your assignmeent as soon as you can!! We'll be thinking about you guys tonight!

Dave said...

What did you get? Maybe you'll get lucky and wake up tomorrow morning to a beautiful fresh layer of snow at Fort Rucker. :) We'll be checking the blog often to find out where you're going...