Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Listen to this......

#1
We went to Armed Forces Day at the mall. Did you know there was an Armed Forces Day? It was on the 16th. A photographer from the newspaper took River's picture and this is what we saw in the paper the next day. He was so excited! Joe asked him for his autograph and he was more than happy to help out a fan.

The next day a different newspaper was on the table. River started to look through it. He searched the first page and said, "Nothing about me." Then when he looked through the rest of the paper it went something like this:
Look over the page and then say,
"Nothing about me."
turn to the next page look it over and say
"Nothing about me."
turn the page look it over and say
"Nothing about me."
He did this until he looked through the whole paper.

#2
Last week we had warm weather. Two days in the 80's!(Yes, I am still blogging about the weather here in Cheyenne.) You should have seen the neighborhood. Everyone, I mean everyone, was out grilling. People were out riding bikes, going for walks, doing yard work. It was crazy! Joe and I are thinking, Yay! At last warm weather, summer is finally here. I mean it is the end of May. It wasn't until later that we found out that it was some sort of freak heat wave.

We had record high temps. 85 degrees in May is a record high! Can you believe that? It is now back to being in the 50's and 60's. Which I guess is better than 40's and 50's. Do you want to know what the average high temperature for the month of May is in Cheyenne? 64 degrees! Crazy, I know. It was fun while it lasted.

#3
Did I ever tell you that when we moved in to our house on base the playroom in the basement was painted a disgusting yellow color? I've been meaning to show these before and afters. It was gross! River would not go down there by himself, and I really couldn't blame him. He is 5 and it was pretty creepy.

So here are the before pictures. The paint was peeling off and there was water stains.
There is always some sort of paper work involved if you want to alter anything in your base house.

When I called the housing office to ask about it, they weren't sure if I should paint in the basement. I told them it was really ugly and they basically told me that, that was my own opinion.

We painted it anyway. I didn't even fill out the paperwork. I'm a rebel, I know. We tried to use a roller at first, but ended up buying a paint spray gun instead. It took way more kilz than we thought.

I would just like to say, "You're welcome." To the next family who moves into this house. Trust me, they will be glad for the fresh coat of white.

#4
Have you seen this cute girl? She is pulling herself up to standing now.

Sometimes she pulls herself up and then loses her balance and falls down and then falls back and hits her head on the wood floor. That happened the other day while I was getting lunch ready in the kitchen. I heard her fall, she started screaming, so I started running. You know to make sure there was no blood. Guess what was in between the kitchen and the living room?
This lovely baby gate.

I saw the baby gate, but since I was running I didn't quite make it over the baby gate quick enough to clear it.
Joan running + trying to clear the baby gate = Joan flat on her face.
You may or may not know that when I fall, I think it is fun to dislocate my shoulder. Luckily there was no shoulder dislocating this time(It would have been the 6th time). My shoulder was sore and I have a giant bruise on my shin. Guess what? Two days before I fell I was at the doctors getting a referral to have my shoulder operated on. I am hoping to have my surgery in July when we get back from AZ. I mean it's only been 10 years since this problem started.

#5
Meet the new Joan Martin!!
My brother John and his wife Jocelyn just had a baby girl.
Guess what they named her?
That's right, Joan.
Joan Temple Martin.
Isn't it so exciting?

I didn't believe John when he told me what they named her. I said, "Nooo. What did you really name her?" about four times, before I believed him. It was so sweet. John told me that she has a good example to look up to. I cried, seriously.

15 comments:

The Heiner's said...

Looks like you've been busy, busy! Love that River is now "famous" how cool is that! Can't believe how big Cora is. I still remember your baby pictures of her. And your namesake is absolutely beautiful. You lucky girl!

A said...

Love the paint job. I'm sure its so good due to all the practice Joe has had with sprayers. I still feel bad about Joe losing his ring while helping me paint that nasty apartment. So were looking forward to melting with you guys in July! We hit 108 last week. 50 - 60s sounds divine right now.

Anonymous said...

Cora is getting so big! Great job on the creepy basement makeover!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading a book about ghosts in a creepy basement, and your basement fits the description. Scary.
Joe was sad about John naming Joan. He wanted to do that. I liked Kate too. Dang name stealers.
Your kids are cute. I'm sorry you fell, but it is funny. Trust me on this one. Glad no shoulder dislocation involved.

amber and alma said...

I was so happy to find an updated post on your blog. Really really happy. Congrats to River for becoming famous, I hope he can still condescend to visit us common people when you come to AZ. Happy Belated Armed Forces Day! Congrats on the name sake, that is very complementary. But they are right, she has a very good example. And as far as the falling over baby gates goes, I was holding my breath while reading that part until you revealed there was no shoulder dislocation, whew. That was a close one.

diane said...

I agree with John - you are one of the best women I have ever known in my life. She is a lucky baby to have your name.

meagan said...

I love reading your posts, they are always so entertaining. Hopefully your hurdling skills improve so there's no more falls on the way to cute Cora. We watched Seven Pounds last night and there was a character named "Ezra" who worked at "Cheyenne Meats" which totally made me think of you guys. Glad to hear you were able to break out the grill. We have been privileged to eat one of Joe's steaks and they were delish (he even showed us his marinade in the spray bottle trick).

RPH said...

Way to go on the basement remodel. It looks great! And that is so impressive to have someone named after you. You deserve it. John is right, you are a good person to look up to.

Sarah said...

I feel your pain about the baby gate. My issue isn't my shoulder..it's my toes. I seem to break one everytime I go over one of those stupid things, full speed or not. ugh.
How sweet of John to name her after you. If he is using my methods (Tiffany ELIZABETH) I plan on Liz to pay for her first car, wedding, and schooling. That's the trade for a baby named after you.
We really need to hook up when you come to Arizona ...p.s. who visits Arizona in the summer silly?

Angela said...

I just read the past 3 post and I still want to read more! You write the most entertaining posts! I love your blog! You brother is so sweet. I would have cried too.

Jill said...

Loved the post, John is so cute to name his little angel after you. I'm sorry you can't jump over baby gates, maybe some day :) Can't wait to see you!

diane said...

Major blog faux-pas ---- I didn't realize we had the same background!! I'll totally change it soon... lol!

Jod Jas Curtis said...

AMEN to the paint job Joanie! Way to go RivDog on the becoming FAMOUS & all :) Love that John named his baby after you, very sweet.... & I wish I could've witnessed "the fall over the gate sitch" with a video camera- it would be all in good fun! & so we could win the $10,000 & maybe go on to win $100,000 :)
Love ya lots

Bekah: said...

Joan,

I am loving the update. I love the newspaper story. I look through every page every morning too so I can catch all "my" stories.

Your little girl is so adorable!

And I must say the basement looks much better. But that is just my opinion ;)

Take care! Will you end up back in Arizona???

Sarah Beau Bera said...

Can you come paint my house?