Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Sweet!

I guess it's only right that I let you know it is 53 degrees at 7:30pm(that is warm). If I am going to complain about the cold weather, I should tell you it has been really nice for the past two days. It has been in the 60's. River was getting excited. When we were outside he looked around and with a huge smile on his face said,
"I'm not wearing my jacket.
All the snow is melted.
And it's not windy."
I told him not to get to excited beca
use it would probably snow again.
I asked Ezra how recess was and he told me that i
t was too hot. He said that he had just gotten use to being cold and he didn't like being hot.(That is when I roll my eyes as he leaves the room)
I know everyone in AZ is hating the hot weath
er and having to turn on the AC in March, but that's just the way it goes when you don't even turn on the heater until December.

Guess
what
time
it
is?
If you guessed mustache March then you are correct.
I will say that Joe's mustache has significant
ly improved from last year and it is only the third day of March. He keeps threatening me that he is going to keep it after March is over. I just tell him that I'll shave it while he is sleeping.

If you don't know what mustache March is then you are lucky. Mustache March is a
tradition in some
squadrons in the Air Force, I think it is mostly the one with flyers. Lucky for me the new squadron that Joe is in participates. Basically all the guys at work grow a mustache. Then at the end of the month they give out mustache awards. If you choose not to participate you have to pay $2 a day for the whole month. That equals $62.00. Plus everyone gives you a hard time if you don't do it, there is a lot peer pressure involved.

In other Lasura news.

Have you met River?
He is our little thumb sucker. It has been going on for a while now.

He started real early.

No matter where he went he always had his thumb with him.

Notice the thumb in the mouth.

Even while enjoying a meal, he had his thumb in his mouth.

Relaxing in Grandma's bed watching a show, thumb in the mouth.

Taking a nap on the couch, last month. Thumb in the mouth.

So what do you think happened when Joe and I put this stuff that was recommended by our dentist on both of River's thumb nails?

First we heard a lot of spitting and mad grunts, followed by a lot of mad grunts and spitting because this stuff tastes really, really, really bad.

So at night when he would usually suck his thumb he started doing crazy stuff. Things like taking his safety scissors to bed with him and cutting his own hair.
This is the after picture. We had to buzz it all off.
He also thought it would be a good idea to take a pen to bed with him. He took his pillow case off and wrote all over his pillow. Then he took the pen and wrote all over himself, all over his legs, all over his arms, all over his belly.
It was tough for Ezra too. Since River didn't have his thumb in his mouth to go to sleep he was more than ready for conversation. Poor Ezra would come into our bedroom so frustrated, "River will not stop talking to me and I can't go to sleep."

I guess he really missed it. He was a bit of a crazy child for a while.
It has been about 3 weeks and thing are pretty much back to normal.
River is thumb-free and happy and so are we.

The kids have been mostly healthy this winter. Ezra had a bit of a sore throat, but that was about it. Cora decided it was time to change things up. She got sick on the Friday of Joe's 4 day weekend. How rude is that? It was pretty sad. She was miserable and not herself.


It took her a while to get back to her cute self. She was good for about a week. The she got the cutest little cough. Then she started wheezing, it wasn't as cute.
Now she is getting breathing treatments every 4 hours. We've got a good system. She sits in her high chair and watches Baby Einsteins on the portable dvd player, while I sit at the table holding the breathing tube up to her face and read a magazine. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

Okay, do you remember how I wanted to have a party at my parents house next time we were in AZ and everyone was invited? I asked my mom if I could have a party at her house and invite all of my friends. She said that I could have the biggest party that I wanted. Then she added because she knew I didn't have any friends. =( I told her that I have lots of friends now because of blogging and facebook.
Anyway we are going to be in AZ in June. I was thinking of having the party the last week in June. I wasn't sure what day. Should we do it on a weeknight or a weekend night? Jodi do you think you can come in June? Any of my other AZ friends that live in other places, it would be so fun if you could make it. Alex and Amy, if you tell me someone is getting married the last week in June I will start to think that you don't want to be my friend anymore. I just think it would be so fun to see everyone again. Let me know what you guys think, and seriously prove to my mom that I do have friends =).

20 comments:

A said...

I for one think a June party would be awesome! Anytime, any day, etc. However... I think in return we should get a weekly updated photo post of Joe's March Mustache progress.

Sara! said...

Melissa is a comment whore:)

Anyhow, I'm glad you stopped by! I've seen your comments on Sarah H's blog and then realize I'm not funny enough to comment.

So, I'm glad that River quit the thumb. When my sister tried to break my niece, she would just suck real hard for a couple minutes to get the stuff off and spit it out and then be back to the thumb.

And, Oakley cut his hair in the same place just last week. What's with that? I thought it was just a girl thing?!

Sorry about the long comment about nothing.

Courtney said...

Glad you guys are doing well and that the weather is getting warmer for you, I can't say the same about the weather over here. If only we could trade some of yours for some of ours. Carina had the same thumb sucking problem until she got a really bad cut on her thumb and my mom told her that if she sucked it it would get infected and they would have to cut it off. At least it worked, now if I can just get her fingernails out of her mouth.

Anonymous said...

I HATE Mustache March! Kevin's flight here is the same way except he doesn't have to pay a penalty fee. Thank goodness he can hardly grow one... Joe's is looking pretty good! That was too funny about River but I'm sure it was frustrating too... glad he's handling it better now! Hope Miss Cora feels better soon!

Jod Jas Curtis said...

First off- LOVE THE "PORN STACHE" Joe- you are a hotty! 2nd- I looove your post, & your kids even more, they continue to make me smile :) & 3rd-- HECK YEAH with the party- Sister Martin is going to regret this, we will be bringing down the house!!! Let me know when you are going & I will be there with ALL SMILES. (My nephew is getting married June12th-that's the only weekend I couldn't go)
Loves
Your BFF

diane said...

I'll be there - you just tell me the day! Weekend/weekday doesn't really matter. I'm excited to see you again! And to finally meet Joe, hopefully sans mustache. ;-)

Kelsey said...

Joan, love the update... True story: So I'm reading your blog and at the point where you are talking about Mustache March, I turn to Oliver and ask, "Are you doing Mustache March this year?" at which point I realize, he has a mustache. He tells me I am the most unobservant girl ever. Not so, I'm just distracted...Lindon has RSV. Blech! I'm wondering if that is what Cora has. I'm half asleep all the time because he doesn't sleep well. His mustache is already really long! I can't believe I didn't notice. Haha! Miss you.

Anonymous said...

June party = awesome.
Mustache = awesome.
River's antics = awesome.
Lasura's = awesome.

amber and alma said...

I would love to join you at a party, put I don't know if I have the energy to keep up with your BFF Jody. Poor River had a hard month, he totally deserves to go outside without a freaking coat. And I know what Ez is talking about, I had to buy shorts for 80 degree weather because I was dying hot. I love the picture with Cora chilling on Joe's chest, too bad it was b/c she was sick. Oh, and I hate mustache March- really bad.
But I love you guys!

Katie said...

yay for a warm weather week! and i love the river stories! i miss those lasura boys! hope cora feels better soon. i miss you!!

Joyous said...

hey there Lasura's! This is Joy Simmons... this is a really cute blog! I'm sorry your baby has to have breathing treatments. RSV? My second little girl had that at 2 weeks of age and was hospitalized for 3 days. Also, my condolances on the fact that they are STILL making you guys do Mustache March. The price has gone up to buy your way out. It used to be 20bucks. Jeff TOTALLY bought his way out! And he got out of the ridicule too by saying "Sorry fellas, Joy made me an offer I couldn't refuse" They all agreed that they would have bought their way out too! :-) I'm sorry about all the cold and the wind... it brings back some very chilly memories! Tell Berto and Avalon hello from the Simmons, and have a warm day! (hopefully)

RPH said...

Yea! This was a fun update!! Mustache March...ewwwww! I remember reading your post last year about it.
Your kids are too cute. Love all the pictures and the thumb sucking! What a hard habit to break huh? I used to bite my nails and my mom put something nasty on them. I stopped immediately. Your party sounds like so much fun. Keep the updates coming, there is a slim chance I can come. It would be so fun to see everyone!

RPH said...

ps cute new picture in your header

diane said...

Love your new picture!

Arritt said...

wow- that's a lot to comment on. Here goes:
Congrats to River
Sorry about the whole mustache thing. That's crappy.
Yea for warm weather in Cheyenne (I hope it comes back to stay).
And last but not least, I like your new fam pic at the top of your blog. Love the sweaters and your house in the background- and Joan you look especially beautiful!

meagan said...

When i first read your post about mustache march, I chuckled because Ben wasn't doing it, but I guess that was because he was in between squadrons, now that we are in San Antonio, Ben is growing his 'stache, I guess that's what I get for laughing right. Wow I hope River never has any other bad habits to break because who knows what crazy things he will come up with to fill the time (he is pretty creative though). Hope you guys are still have nice weather- you'll have to check out our picture of snow in AL. Oh yah and don't forget to post an end of march mustache picture- sorry for the long comment, Ben is making fun of me as we speak!

Amy said...

Your posts are the best. The mustache pictures about did me in. I think i might have scary dreams tonight. :) A party at the end of june sounds great...I'll try to talk alex into driving down! It would definately be worth the 12 hour drive! Take care, Amy

Lyndsay said...

I am copying this comment to you in case you dont see it on my blog...
I totally forgot (and was sad when I remembered) that The City's finale was last week! At least I can look forward to The Hills! And I did hear that Audrina may get her own show...I just hope Speidi doesnt get their own show, but I am worried that its going to happen. UM, I LOVE Freaks and Geeks!!!! We rented it a few years ago, and thought it was very smart. So sad that it is only 1 season though...and you know about my love affair with James Franco...

Martineau Family said...

Love the stash!! Sorry your little one got sick...we had a few breathing treatments going on in our home during March too! Long story...

Anyway great to check in...and I hope you get more warmer days soon. I can't imagine living through a cold winter. I am such a wimp. :)

Angela said...

I don't know how I missed this post! It made me laugh so hard. I wish I lived close to AZ because I'd definitely come to your party =)