
On Friday Joe got to fly the helicopter while doing a "live hoist". Usually when he flies there is some sort of scenario going on like looking for a lost hiker or a troop of boy scouts to rescue. Joe flies out to where the person needs to be rescued and practices lowering a litter (a big metal basket) or a forest penetrator (yes, that is what is really called, it penetrates all the trees and stuff). So usually they practice by lowering the empty basket into a tire.
This week Joe flew to the site and dropped off (lowered him down on the hoist) another student to be the simulated survivor. Then he flew around and did a "site evaluation" that's where you fly around and survey the land and see if there is a safe place to land. Since they were training on doing the hoist they didn't land the helicopter, they went back to where their survivor was. Joe hovered the helicopter and during this exercise he got to lower the hoist down to save the "survivor". He lowered the forest penetrator the student got on and Joe raised him up so he could get on to the helicopter. I'm sure it was much cooler and complicated than I made it sound, but I wasn't there. Joe tells me it's harder to hover in higher altitudes.
The training exercise went well and Joe was happy when he came home to tell me all about it. It was pretty exciting news around our house. Joe only has 10 more flights to go. Last week he had 5 flights. This week he will start flying nights, with night vision goggles, students are only allowed to fly 3 night flights a weeks. He is scheduled to be done here on July23.
Here is a link to the air force website that has some pictures of the helicopter that Joe is flying. There isn't any pics from the base in Wyoming, but the green helicopter is the one he will be flying. I'm such a girl, the green helicopter as opposed to the blue and white ones and the camoflage one. They are all the same model, just painted a different color.
P.S. the picture posted at the top is from a google search, and it is not the same model that Joe flies, if anyone cares.
12 comments:
Sounds like Joe is doing awesome. I know how important it is to the person on the end of the rope or penetrator that the pilot keeps a stable hover. If the helicopter moves a foot the guy on the end of the rope or penetrator moves 5 feet through the trees. Keep up the good work!
That sounds cool! Okay, I gotta ask if you knew a Jeremy & Mandee Hoagland? They are in Arkansas I think? He is flying Helicopters too... anywho hope you are feeling well - can't wait to hear about the baby.
luvs
jodi
Congrats guys! well mostly Joe. I knew you would do totally awesome. I am so glad it went well, as I am sure so was the "survivor". We are super proud of you. Love you guys.
Those pictures are like something out of a movie. It's crazy that Joe is doing that stuff!
Sounds pretty cool, though it would make me nervous being the student hoisted by another student pilot...yikes. congrats on almost finishing.
the Pages from Columbus
You are a brave, brave woman to let him do that. I get freaked out just by having Aaron on the roof. I tell him that if he falls, he better be uninjured or dead, because I am not changing his diapers and feeding him!!!
Ben sounds so experienced doesn't he? He actually his, but he didn't tell you, in his comment he rappelled out of helicopters for 3 fire season with the forest service. Nice work Joe, many people will appreciate your steady hovering skills!
I've been meaning to comment and keep getting sidetracked... but here it is! That is so cool that JOE (I can't believe I actually said Dave in my first post.. so SORRY. I had just commented on someone's blog right before yours and his name is Dave... anyway glad I proofread!) was really excited about the hoist. Kevin loves that that's just part of his everyday job. Really, they think they have the best jobs in the world and it makes me happy knowing he's doing what he loves for a living. :-)
Joe and Joan!!!
Wow .. i think the last time i saw you too! Was graduation? this is Ana Fa..well last name is Wolfgramm now.. I just came across your blog and was happy to find you two!! and your having a baby girl how lucky for you... i have yet to have that!! i have 3 boys not so much luck in the girl dept. but hopefully there's still hope...!!! That is so cool that Joe flies Helicopters .. my brother in law .. just finished helicopter school awhile back and was promised a job until the school shut down ..which stinks for him .. anyways so what are you guys up to lately besides the fact your having a baby!!! well anyways i have a blog thingy too! it's set to private but if you wanna check it out it's nothing big just email me at afawolfgramm@yahoo.com so i can invite you through your email.. ;)
i love that your family is growing. I love the brown/pink outfit with the bow. I can not wait to see you on Thursday!!!! Love you,
Rita
i love that your family is growing. I love the brown/pink outfit with the bow. I can not wait to see you on Thursday!!!! Love you,
Rita
Post a Comment